Welcome to the very first episode of The Lounge Podcast with Jacqueline Hutchinson. I’ve got a tasty cup of coffee thanks to my Bestie Jenn, so I’m ready to jump right in. In this discussion, we chat about content curation. Content curation is a key to helping you collect, organize, use and share resources. Let’s listen in to hear how you can elevate your content curation skills, and help your team with theirs.
Jacqueline is pleased to chat with Mike Taylor. Mike specializes in crafting digital and social media learning. Jacqueline has followed Mike Taylor on Twitter for quite some time and has found his feed to be a wellspring of educational knowledge. In today’s episode, Jacqueline and Mike chat about content curation.
With all the available online resources including articles, videos, and images, saving them in an efficient way can prove to be quite and challenge. Mike shares his curation strategies including his top 3 digital tools. I’ve got a tasty cup of coffee thanks to my Bestie Jenn. What’s in your cup today?
Mike has a lifelong passion for learning which can be summed up by his personal tagline “Ask. Learn. Share.” He shares his passion and wealth of knowledge through speaking engagements and presentations, on his website and in his newsletter.
Mike’s Top 3 Content Curation Resources:
- A feed reader available on Android and iOs devices
- Efficient way to keep up in your areas of interest across news sources
- Follow your favourite sites in one place by subscribing to their RSS feeds
- Create boards through tagging
- Boards are shareable with others
- Several ways to save using extensions and bookmarklets across devices
- Free for limited access or $5.41 per month for premium services
- A bookmarking app that saves articles, video, images and more
- Available across several platforms
- Once saved you can view the content offline
- Content is shareable to social media such as Twitter and Facebook
- Also connects to Feedly, use the same tag to keep information organized
- As you save articles, recommended articles will be tailored to your interests
- Free version available or premium options ($4.99/mo. Or $44.99/yr.)
- A social bookmarking website that allows you to bookmark, tag, highlight and use sticky notes on webpages
- Can be used privately, with a group or shared
- Keep bookmarks offline so they are saved if your computer dies
- Useful to collect information for a course, you can use tags and share the link to your learners, as content is added it is automatically added to that link
- Use RSS Feed can connect to Feedly
- Free or a range of premium options (starting at $40/year for an individual)
Other Links from the discussion
Short Video from Mike: Illustrating my PKM process
Who is Mike Taylor?
With over two decades of real-life, in-the-trenches experience, designing and delivering learning experiences, Mike Taylor understands that effective learning isn’t about the latest fad or trendy new tools. Known for his practical, street-savvy style; Mike is a regular and highly rated speaker at industry events and directs learning technology and online learning at Mindset Digital in Columbus, Ohio. He also has an MBA from Ohio University and a Master’s in Educational Technology from San Diego State.